The Student News Site of El Camino Real Charter High School

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

Bringing imagination back to life with the heartfelt new movie: “IF”

Paramount Pictures

The “IF” Movie came out May 16 in theaters and goes into the life of imaginary friends who have been forgotten by their creators.
The movie follows Bea, played by Cailey Fleming, who has and continues to experience great loss in her life. Her mother passed away when she was just six years-old and her father is currently undergoing heart surgery. During this time, she stays in her grandmother’s apartment that she hasn’t been to since her mother died.
While there, Bea sees strange characters that she discovers to be Imaginary Friends [IFs]. She begins trying to help IFs who have been left behind after their owners have forgotten about them. However, for Bea, it becomes an emotional rollercoaster. Even though Bea is the one helping them, they help her in their own way since IFs are meant to be a friend to count on for children.
John Krasinski, most known for his work in The Office, is the writer, director and voice of Bea’s dad. The movie includes other famous actors such as Ryan Renolds who plays Cal, Bea’s neighbor who can see the imaginative figures known as IFs. IF also features many other famous voices including Matt Damon, Steve Carell, Emily Blunt and Awkwafina.
The movie has gotten mixed reviews with a rating of four stars on Common Sense Review, a 48% on Rotten Tomatoes and around a seven out of 10 on Internet Movie Database [IMDb]. Some people thought the movie was heartfelt and cute, while others thought that it was too deep for young children despite it being marketed towards them. Overall, the cast is very memorable, but not exactly what movie-goers thought the movie was about.