The Student News Site of El Camino Real Charter High School

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

May Program Highlight: Broadcast Journalism

The new Broadcast Journalism program being added to the 2024-2025 school year has students excited to produce weekly video news programs for students and staff.
“Broadcast Journalism is a news type report system where we’re going to broadcast videos to the school about different events and different things going around at our school,” sophomore Taye Sangkhae said.
The program plans to produce broadcasted events for students to get a better look on important news and occasions revolving around the school.
“The class also isn’t just about news events, it also helps highlight the staff who are very underappreciated,” sophomore Angelina Cruz said. “It allows students to get more depth into what goes on behind the scenes.”
The program helps students enhance their journalistic skills, whether it be writing, public speaking, or even editing.
“I have a passion for video editing and video producing,” Sangkhae said. “I wanted to join Broadcast Journalism just to use those skills and to impact the school with it.”
Broadcast Journalism helps students learn the basics of journalism while also getting a look at what being a newscaster is like.
“Broadcast helps to spread the word about news quicker than how a newspaper would,” Cruz said. “The videos are gonna be broadcasted and it can be live as well.”
Several students who have joined the program are extremely excited for the new year to begin so they can begin working on news broadcasts that will help impact the school in many ways.
“It’s gonna be very educational because [students in the class are] gonna learn about editing and interviewing,” Cruz said. “They’re also [going to] learn the art of broadcasting and everything about it.”
If students hope to one day have a career in Broadcast Journalism, they should consider switching into the class for the upcoming school year.
“The people that are just thinking about joining should at least try to apply because the class is gonna be new next year. There’s a lot of things that we’re going to be able to experiment with when creating news broadcasts for the school,” Sangkhae said. “It definitely is going to be a fun learning experience for everyone in the class.”