The Student News Site of El Camino Real Charter High School

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

Track & Field reveal the key to making a winning team

Eliza Lotterstein

The school’s track-and-field team ran against Taft High School April 4, where they beat Taft overall when the different events the team ran were added up.
Track-and-field has multiple different events that the individual players run for. They are placed in either the track or field category, and each runner is assigned two to three events per meet.
“There are field events like shot put, high and long jump, but there are also track events like 100 and 200 meters, sprint, and distance,” sophomore Marielle Flores said.
The points are added up by school at the end, where they also get individual points based on each person’s placement. The team goes through a lot of training for every event, in hopes of earning more points.
“[My training regime consists of] training as much as possible, and overdoing your event so you build up to the time and speed you need to,” senior Zoey Igbinige said.
For every track event the training differs. Some events, such as long distance, require the runner to have a high stamina level. But other events, such as the 200 meter dash, are shorter and focus more on speed. Each person also makes sure that they are preparing in the best way possible for themselves, and it varies from person to person.
“We work on the drills designated for our event,” Flores said. “For example, if you’re a sprinter you work on speed, and if you’re long distance then you work on your stamina.”
Each runner has a specific warm up and practice that they focus on. Mental preparation takes just as much as physical preparation for these races.
“[I prepare myself by] locking in and staying focused,” senior Alex Bowens said.
There are physical and emotional tactics used by the team when getting ready for a race, and both are equally as uplifting.
“[To prepare I have] to get into a certain headspace by jumping and shaking [my] legs to help get in the zone,” Igbinige said.
During this track season, there have been some struggles for practices and meets due to field renovations, affecting some of the team. Since the field is currently being worked on, there is more of a pressure to find a space to work in.
“You have to make the extra effort to get to Calabasas after school to practice,” sophomore Sofia Galvez said. “You have to be ready to run everything that [the coaches] give you without question.”
Track-and-field competitions may initially appear to be individual sports, but the sport encompasses a team dynamic. From relay races to field events, the athletes frequently encourage and support one another, highlighting the value of teamwork in pursuing common objectives.
“Supporting the teammates around me and encouraging them during their race and cheering them on can have a big impact on how far they can push themselves,” Bowens said. “Track is an individual sport, but if you work together and help each other you can run faster and longer.”
In order to do better and perform well, the members make sure to support each and every runner.
“Just hearing your teammates cheer your name makes you more motivated and helps you get better,” Flores said.
Inspiration and longevity is a key factor in keeping the morale of the team alive, and the team makes sure to support every runner.While track may just seem like it is running there are a lot of misconceptions about the sport to many.
“The sport is not easy, other teams have to run as a punishment while that is our whole sport,” Igbinige said.
The track team’s most recent triumph over Taft demonstrates the value of resiliency and teamwork to the team. Their combined efforts and tenacity throughout the season have been an inspiration to everyone, showing the potential of collaboration in accomplishing amazing feats both on and off the track.
“A lot of the runners are committed and really enjoy running track,” sophomore Saveena Joseph said. “But, we still have pressure to go faster and keep up.”