The Student News Site of El Camino Real Charter High School

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

The return of Godzilla x Kong

The highly anticipated film, “Godzilla x Kong,” has finally arrived in theaters Mar. 29. The action/sci-fi movie centers around the famed Godzilla and King Kong as they meet a dangerous beast in Earth’s depths, fighting for the survival of themselves and that of the planet.
The movie, a sequel to the popular “Godzilla vs. Kong,” is the fifth film in the movie franchise and has become the fifth-best Easter weekend of all time, with the top four being “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Furious 7,” “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” and “The Fate of the Furious.” “Godzilla x Kong” has done fairly well in terms of reviews, with the box office reporting an earning of $362.9 million since its release. Additionally, a Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer of 54% with an audience score of 92%.
The new film is directed by Adam Wingard and stars Rebecca Hall, Bryan Tyree Henry, Dan Stevens, Kaylee Hottel, Alex Ferns and Fala Chen. The process of the movie took about 2 years to complete, with a lot of the filming taking place in the Gold Coast, AUS.
It premiered three years following the release of “Godzilla vs. Kong,” which came out in 2021. Many take note that even solely based on the title “Godzilla x Kong” the film automatically tends to break away from the popularized genre of drama and instead allude to an awaited spectacle of two titans brawling at one another. The film’s high classification and ranking tower over the majority of its former films seemingly because of its massive destruction-driven battles, its playful mindfulness, its feelings of nostalgia and plenty of action-filled scenes that keep viewers on their feet.
As the group embarks on a treacherous mission into a phenomenal yet unexplored terrain, unmasking keys to the titan’s very beginning and humanity’s existence, a menacing conspiracy puts both creatures, evil or not, in fatal danger; a life- or-death struggle where both humans and animals have to work together to keep the only place known to have life–Earth, alive and well.
Although some express feelings of discontent and confusion at the alternating and in-depth storyline that links the animal kingdom, many voice a sense of intrigue as well as a captivating curiosity to keep up and decipher what is going on. Others continue to watch these films because they are said to possess a classic monster movie feel that never gets old. While Kong’s close association with humans evolves with human technology, the evolution of Godzilla in the film becomes the major change that transforms the cliche of the sequel. By taking a more organic approach Wingard believes that it allows for greater possibilities and therefore future films on the two iconic giants.