The Student News Site of El Camino Real Charter High School

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

The Royal Courier

Melanie Martinez kicks off the commemorative Trilogy Tour

Alternative pop singer-songwriter Melanie Martinez began her Trilogy Tour May 11, in Seattle, WA, exciting fans worldwide.
Martinez first announced the tour Nov. 9, 2023 on their social media platforms and tickets quickly became available for purchase. Just as quickly as they went on sale, the tickets were almost completely sold out in a majority of the venues. Fans were most excited to attend the tour because of a previous announcement she had made at her last concert before the release of her third studio album, “PORTALS,” when she said that she would no longer be performing songs from her first two studio albums “Cry Baby” and “K-12.”
In addition to being a singer-songwriter, Martinez is known for their creativity in storytelling. When she released her first album “Cry Baby” in August of 2015, she created the character Cry Baby and told the dramatic and melancholy story of Crybaby’s childhood.
They followed this with the release of their self-directed movie “K-12” in September of 2019 where they portray the main character Crybaby and her experiences from kindergarten through twelfth grade with her best friend Angelita and the duo’s experiences with supernatural abilities in boarding school.
In March of 2023, Martinez released her most recent studio album “PORTALS” where her beloved character Crybaby was reborn into a new faerie form. To solidify the transition to this new form and new setting, Martinez also replaced the thumbnails on all of their YouTube posts, removed all previous social media posts and performed the entirety of the “PORTALS” tour in the faerie prosthetic costume. Martinez additionally stated that “PORTALS” will be the end of Crybaby’s journey.
As one last commemorative journey through her eras of rebirth, Martinez created the Trilogy Tour where she would perform songs from all of her eras, excluding her singles and extended play (EP). The tour is set to continue until October 19 and additional dates have been added for Europe. Martinez will continue to demonstrate their artistic abilities and grow as an artist and a writer, only now it will be without Crybaby as the front image of their career.